The LED displaycolor depth, or gray scale, indicates the process depth of the colors showed bya LED display. When looking at the technical specifications of a LED displaygiven by LED display suppliers you can always find values like "12-bit,14-bit, 16-bit". Many clients and even sales executives don't know whatthis value means. For that this article will explain what the color depth, orgray scale, means.
· 1-bit color (21 =2 colors): often black and white
· 2-bit color (22 = 4colors)
· 3-bit color (23 =8 colors)
· 4-bit color (24 =16 colors)
· 5-bit color (25 =32 colors)
· 6-bit color (26 =64 colors)
· 8-bit color (28 =256 colors)
· 12-bit color (212 =4096 colors)
· 14-bit color (214 =16384 colors)
· 16-bit color (216 =65536 colors)
So from abovetable, it's not difficult to find the color depth actually shows how manycolors can be shown on the LED display.
As well-known,LED display is RGB color model, and each pixel consists of red, green, and bluecolor LEDs. And here we will explain further about it in below table:
· 12-bit: there are 4 bits (16 possiblelevels) for each of the RG,B LEDs. So it would show totally 16x16x16=4096 kindscolors.
· 14-bit: In 14-bit process depth,there's a little difference from 12-bit. For the reason that human eyes are notso sensitive to blue, than red or green. So it is assigned one bit less thanthe others. So for red and green, there are 32 possible levels, and for blue,there's 16 possible levels. So totally it can show 32x32x16=16384 colors.
· 16-bit: It is very similar with above.But this time it's due to the green color are most sensitive to human eyes. Soit's assigned one bit more than the others. So for red and blue, there're 32possible levels. And for green, there are 64 possible levels. So it can showtotally 32x32x64=65536 colors.
Within the LEDdisplay industry many LED screen suppliers do not pay that much attention wenmaking the LED displays' technical specifications accurate. And the technologyhomogenization is currently very serious. The true situation is, for thewidely-adopted technology, the highest color depth is actually 14 bits. It isnot arbitrarily speaking because it's limited by the hardware part.
If adoptinghigher level IC and system, it wont be any problem to realize the 16-bit colordepth or gray scales. But with nowadays tech, it must lose the virtual pixeltechnology. And actually the 14-bit color depth or gray scale doesnt make anybig difference from 16-bit color
Add: 7th JunXing Industrial Road,LingWu Industrial Park,HuanGuan Road,Guanlan Town,Baoan District, Shenzhen, China.
Mr. Michael Chang
Tel: +86 755 6660 5668
Fax: +86 755 6167 3308
What's APP-1: 0086-13715003940
What's APP-2: 0086-17097320420